2017 Action Grants Information and Application
Each year, the Parks Alliance offers Action Grants to support local community park groups in San Francisco. These Action Grants support volunteer engagement and community actions that improve and encourage use of San Francisco parks, recreation centers, and open spaces and are intended to support actions that involve community participation in local neighborhoods.
Action Grants of $1,000 - $5,000 will be awarded. Awardees will be announced in May 2017.
Action Grants are designed to support community projects that encompass one or more of the following:
- Events and campaigns to recruit and involve volunteers in park stewardship projects
- Educational programming in public outdoor spaces, including youth, nature, and environmental education
- Activating public spaces to build community and generate broader awareness of community needs
- Making physical improvements to parks, recreation centers, and public open spaces
- Purchasing supplies and equipment needed for recreational programming
- Recreational programs for underserved communities
Any existing Park Partner group, San Francisco neighborhood-based groups, and/or San Francisco neighborhood organizations with demonstrated needs are eligible to apply. Projects must be located within the City and County of San Francisco. Projects may include programming, artwork, events, small capital projects, beautification projects, or other creative ideas. Action Grant awardees must be able to use their awarded funds on projects between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.
Individuals are not eligible to apply. Park or neighborhood groups who received Action Grant awards in the previous year (2016) are not eligible to apply. Past winners of the People’s Choice Award (2016) will not be considered for another People’s Choice Award but are eligible to apply for an Action Grant through the standard application process.
Completed applications are due by 5 p.m. on March 17, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Pre-application open house (recommended):
The Parks Alliance will be hosting two information open house opportunities for applicants. These open houses are designed to give applicants a forum to ask questions regarding the application, permitting requirement, or other related issues.